Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The First Day of School

September 7, 2011 is the first day of school.  I like to keep it simple and direct the first day so the students know that they are at work and not here to play.  I am lucky in that the new seventh graders have been warned from either siblings or their sixth grade teachers that no nonsense is permitted in Mr. Moser's class, or actually any of the seventh grade team.

A seating chart is an absolute necessity to let the students know that I am in charge from day one.  When the students come in they will write everything they would find at Disneyland to prepare for an archeology project, "Disneyland Redux, 3011" that I will explain tomorrow.

I always begin the new year with a film clip from "Remember the Titans" when Denzel Washington introduces himself to the football team.  "This is no democracy.  It is a dictatorship!  I am the law!"  I then pause before giving my one rule for the class "The classroom is a place of work and students will do only what furthers the work that needs to be accomplished, the learning of history."

My class is based simple procedures for coming into the classroom, turning in work, and leaving the classroom.  Work is always turned in the same box in my class, never to me, and before the bell rings.   The students are told that the clock and bell in my classroom are none of their business, but for my use, and they need to work until I tell them to clean up, and never even think about leaving until I tell them to.  Reactions to the bell are not acceptable, but must look to the teacher. The only other important procedure or gesture in my classroom is that when I raise my hand, the student get silent and look at me, immediately.

We will go over the class letter briefly, to tell them that we are going to be studying medieval history and have them look at work examples from last year that are still on the wall.  They get an idea of the quality that I expect.  However, I prefer to have the subject unfold during the year as they do the projects and participate in the discussions that help them become apprentice historians.

No comments:

Post a Comment